Look into the depths of the earth and explore the world of precious opal.
A fascinating story of the treasure of the Slovak mountains begins at a place where history, stories and legends come together. A mysterious atmosphere of ancient times awaits you on the way underground. Working in the mine required a lot of effort, as evidenced by the kilometres of manually excavated corridors into extremely harsh andesite. During the tour, you will find out how our forefathers were looking for precious opal and what tools they used. You will get to know dozens of accompanying opal minerals and you will surely see opal veins. We will introduce you to the mining technique and its gradual development, and when you listen carefully, you will hear the sounds of the demanding work of miners.
We will lend you helmets and lamps free of charge before entering the mine. The mine is partially illuminated, but its own flashlights that enhance your experience. In the mine you may also enjoy total darkness in the 36-metre long corridor, where you can only orient yourself by touch.
Put on your helmet, let’s get started!
a lot of adventure awaits you in our mine! For somewhere in the darkness the nature spirit of the underground is hidden, and whoever is not afraid will certainly see his glowing gaze. You will learn the story of the fairy Libanka, and if you are attentive, you may be able to count all the rockhounds that accompany you on the show. A chocolate chapel awaits you and we will test your courage in the corridor of total darkness! For a while, you will become real opal seekers and you can experience what it is like to orient yourself by touch. You can take a picture in the special children’s gallery.
- The tour is 700 m long.
- The stay in the underground premises takes about 45 – 60 min.
- During the tour, the guide will give you an expert historical and geological account of the mines.
- Dress well. The temperature in the mines ranges from +4 ° C to +6° C.
- The price of admission includes the rental of a helmet and a lamp.
- It is advisable to arrive at least 10 minutes in advance.
- Book in advance, e.g. by phone at 0904 22 33 00.
- Tickets are purchased at the box office right at the mine area.